To access the full text of this Constitution, please click here. Below, you will find Articles I – III:
OFFICIAL CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS OF THE TENNESSEE ASSOCIATION OF SCIENCE DEPARTMENT CHAIRS, INC.
Tennessee Association of Science Department Chairs, Incorporated
Name and Purpose
Section 1. Name and Address
The name of this organization shall be the Tennessee Association of Science Department Chairs, Incorporated. The address of the Office shall be the permanent address of the Association.
Section 2. Purpose
The purposes of the Association is to promote a free-forum for members to discuss ideas, exchange good teaching practices, and collaborate on promoting science in the State of Tennessee.
Section 1. Membership
Membership of the Association is open to institutions, science faculties and science students from high schools, colleges, and universities.
Section 2. Members
Any person or organization interested or engaged in scientific work may apply for membership. Members are elected at the annual meeting by a majority of the members present. In the interim between meetings, the Executive Committee shall accept members, subject to ratification at the next annual meeting.
Section 3. Fellows
Members who have participated in more than two of the following Association activities:
(1) section chairperson, (2) editor, (3) field trip leader, (4) committee service, (5) publication in the Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, (6) presentation of paper at the annual meeting, (7) researchers, educators, administrators, or professionals involved in science endeavors in Tennessee, on the recommendation of the Executive Committee, may be elected as Fellows at the annual meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present. Nominations should be endorsed by two members.
Section 4. Honorary Members
Persons who have attained prominence in, or made outstanding contributions to, science or any other branch of learning, including contributions to the Association, on the recommendation of the Executive Committee, may be elected honorary members at any regular meeting by a two-thirds vote of members present.
Section 5. Other Classes
The specifications of the remaining classes of membership together with dues information as for Regular, Student, Emeritus, Fellows, and Honorary Members shall be found in the Bylaws.
Section 6. Membership Privileges
All current members except Institutional are eligible to participate in the Annual Business Meeting, to vote, and hold office in the Association. No member may concurrently hold two elective or appointed offices. No person shall be entitled to more than one vote.
Section 1. Elections and Terms of Office
The officers of the Association shall consist of a President, Secretary, and Treasurer which shall be permanent positions except when they elect to leave the position and/or the Association.
Section 2. Duties of the President
- shall preside over all meetings of the Association and of the Executive Committee;
- shall be responsible for the administration of all activities of the Academy;
- shall cause the provisions of the constitutions and bylaws to be faithfully carried out;
- shall call special meetings of the Association and Executive Committee whenever deemed necessary, or upon written request of a majority of the Executive Committee Members;
- shall appoint all standing committees.
Section 4. Duties of the Secretary: The Secretary:
- shall keep records of all meetings of the Association and of the executive Committee and shall prepare minutes for publication in the Journal;
- together with the Treasurer, shall keep a record of the membership of the Association and keep each other informed of any changes affecting the status of members;
- shall maintain documents related to institutional history, and an archive of Executive Committee decisions.
Section 5. Duties of the Treasurer:
- shall receive and disburse all of the funds of the Association under the general direction of and subject to regulation by the Executive Committee;
- shall be bonded at the Association’s expense in the amount specified by the Executive Committee;
- shall keep a record of the dues paid by members;
- shall keep a record of the membership of the Association;
- shall present at the annual meeting a tentative report of the receipts and disbursements to date;
- in January shall present to the Executive Committee for publication in the Journal of Multidisciplinary Research a detailed written report which has been approved by the auditing committee;
- shall coordinate with the Auditing Committee to conduct an annual audit for the closing fiscal year.